- The Klingon Empire and the Cardassian Union sign a mutual defense treaty against the Breen Confederacy. The Federation continues to try to mediate the ongoing situation, offering to lift some sanctions, but the Breen refuses to engage in negotiation and sends more ships to their border.
- Under diplomatic pressure from the Cardassians and Klingons, the Federation joins the them in their defense treaty against the Breen. 250 Federation starships are sent to the Federation/Breen border. The people of the Federation see their third war in five years looming.
- The forces of the Breen Confederacy begin attacking the Federation, Klingon and Cardassian ships along their border. Their new torpedo based weapon quickly gives them the upper hand.
- A single Romulan Warbird enters the battle, selectively activating a cloaked minefield that has been left in Breen space since the end of the Dominion War. Within moments the Breen forces are wiped out and the Romulan ship leaves the area after just a short explanation.
- The Breen issue their surrender and it is accepted under the same sanctions that had been placed on them at the end of the Dominion War. The new torpedo technology is confiscated and defense to it is developed by the Federation who distribute it to the other powers in the galaxy.
- After formally receiving the defense technology to the Breen weapon from the Federation, the Romulans again enter their seclusion with no explanation of why they decided to aid the other two powers.
- The Klingons capture the Breen leader, Government Gaub and execute him along with most of the rest of the government. While outraged, the Breen do nothing, and the executed leaders are replaced with their immediate predecessors.