- For the first time since 2381, subspace communication was opened between a Starfleet captain and a Romulan warbird commander to discuss a possible problem both were seeing within their governments.
- On the planet Orisus 3, a gathering of several dozen Starfleet, Romulan, Cardassian, and Klingon starship commanding officers occurs in utter secrecy. There, they all agree that the highest levels of their government seem to be showing signs of extraordinary and odd behaviour, and they take up a stance against their governments by forming a fleet of their own. With no hope of victory, they engage to find the source of this problem.
- Sending spies into the higher levels of the government, the Klingon and Starfleet "traitors" find out that a symbiotic race that controls the human mind and breathes through a small gill portruding from the back of the neck, seen once before by the Federation more than twenty-five years previously, had taken over the highest levels of their government.
- As the time of all-out war between the "patriots" in the government and the "traitors" in the new fleet of ships, the spies manage to find the mother creatures within the key officials in their governments, killing the other symbiotes and vanquishing them from all the governments.
- Rear Admiral Mark Miller, the last remaining member of Starfleet's senior staff is made Commander in Chief and promoted to Fleet Admiral.
- As the new year approaches, the new leaders of the Federation, Romulan, Klingon and Cardassian governments meet to discuss the unification of their peoples into one cohesive unit, a massive alliance the scale of which had not been seen since the Dominion War in the 2370s. The proposal's initial name was the United Galactic Alliance of Planets, and the plans were set into motion to start the UGAP within one year.