Light to Extreme Snow and Ice Storms
|[ Source ]|
Andoria is an inhabited Class P moon orbiting a ringed gas giant in the Andorian system, in the Beta Quadrant. It is the home world of the Andorian and the Aenar races. Andoria took part in talks to form a Coalition of Planets in 2155 and became a founding member of the United Federation of Planets in 2161.
Andoria is located in a neighboring system to Vulcan, which led to a series of conflicts between the Andorian Empire and the Vulcans. In 2154, the Vulcan High Command deployed a fleet of twelve star ships to Regulus, which lay just outside Andorian sensor range, preparing to attack Andoria. Andoria was also relatively close to the Sol system, and the Andorian Empire occupied space between Babel and Tellar Prime. In the 24th century, Andoria was located near to the Cardassian border during the Dominion War.
- The Kumari was the first ice-cutter to circumnavigate Andoria.
- Andoria is inhabited by the blue-skinned Andorian species of humanoids, and the Aenar, a subspecies of the Andorians. There was contact between the two sentient species on Andoria in the distant past, but eventually contact was lost and both species only vaguely remembered the other in myths and stories. It was not until around 2104 that contact was re-established between the Andorians and the Aenar.
- Following the agreement of a cease fire on Weytahn in 2152, talks were continued on Andoria, where it was hoped that more than "just talk" would be accomplished.
- In 2154, the Vulcan High Command planned to attack Andoria.
- Later that year, the crew of Enterprise NX-01 set course for Andoria to return the crew of the destroyed warship Kumari home for medical attention.
- The moons of Andoria were among multiple locations that could be experienced in a 2256 demonstration of the possibilities of spore drive; that year, Captain Gabriel Lorca pointed out to Michael Burnham that, while journeying on the mycelial network, a traveler might blink and, before they knew it, they were visiting the moons of Andoria.
The Icy Surface of Andoria
Andoria is an ice world, with a Human-breathable oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. Andorian cities are underground and take their energy from geothermal activity. The cities are connected to each other by thousands of kilometers of tunnels.
Only during rare heatwaves would the temperature on Andoria rise above freezing, and even then only for a few weeks at a time. In the northern wastes, a temperature reading of -28° Celsius is not uncommon during mid-summer.
Points of Interest
- Aenar compound
- Andorian Academy
- Laikan Military Academy
- Northern Wastes
- Wall of Heroes
- Andorian amoeba
- Andorian bull
- Andorian redbat
- Andorian tuber root