|Homeworld||Phom III (Delta Quadrandt)|
The Louphomme were first encountered by the MCS Alamo while on a scouting mission on 240610.29. The Alamo had just entered the Phom system when they were attacked by unknown fighters. The marines fought back until they were hailed by the leader, Krrackden (All rrâ€™s are pronounced growled). The attack had not been meant maliciously, but as a test of worth. The Louphomme admired the fierceness with which the Marines fought not only to protect their ship, but their comrades as well. Krrackden invited the marines down to the planet for a meeting, including the science chief.
- 1 Society
- 2 Culture
- 3 Physiology
- 4 Notes to Keep in Mind When Simming Louphomme
- 5 See Also
The Louphomme are wolf-like humanoids, similar to the werewolves of ancient Earth mythology. Although they have an advanced society and are capable of interstellar travel and advanced technologies, they chose to live what most would consider primitively. They live in huts made of straw and wood with only their manufacturing plant made of steelcrete. They are broken up into classes and sub classes, the four classes are the ruling class, warrior class, religious class and working class.
The ruling class includes the planet Alpha male, the Alpha female, cubs and the scientific minds.
Like the wolves of Earth, the Louphomme leader is the strongest male in the village. The Alpha male leads until he is unable to fight any longer. At that point a competition is held where all the young males on the planet are invited to compete for the Alpha male and leader. This competition is a four day long hand to hand battle and occurs in catacombs beneath the main encampment. This is to replicate how the leaders of each pack were chosen millions of years before they started to form a society. The catacombs were discovered a few thousand years earlier and they proved to be big enough. The added difficulty of navigating them, not only challenges the young warriors physically, but mentally as well. The combatants are usually between the ages of 17 and 28, though the age cap to compete is 40.
The Alpha female is usually chosen from the daughters of the previous Alpha male. While it is tradition to do this, most do not force that part of the tradition. This was decided by an Alpha four generations before, who had fallen in love with a female from his village and refused to take any other as his mate.
The other members of this class are the scientists. The best scientific minds of the planet are part of the ruling class and serve as advisors to the Alpha male. Customarily, the number of advisors is limited to four. These four then head a scientific council that brings together the rest of the planet?s scientific community. The scientists are held in such high esteem that only the Alpha male is considered of greater importance, and barely at that.
This class encompasses the fighting and police forces of the Louphomme. This class is specially trained in everything from hand to hand combat, including a fighting style very similar to Ninjitsu, to piloting the military capital ships. This class represents the strongest, fastest and those with the best tactical minds on the planet. They are normally hand picked early on, at the age of five, and trained until they are able to enter active service at sixteen. However, those willing to enter the lower, enlisted ranks are allowed to join after turning fifteen and proving their worth as warriors.
These are the history keepers, the keepers of all religious texts. They also oversee or perform all rituals, such as the choosing of a winner in the Alpha male fights. Most are born into this class, though some request to be allowed in. The training for this is rigorous and includes going on a vision quest in the desert for three weeks with no food or water. If they do not return, then it is considered the God and Goddess? will and they are not looked for. Only those who are able to return are considered worthy for acceptance into the religious circles.
This is where you find the builders, architects, artisans, ship builders etc. While falling last in the order listed, they are considered just as important as the three classes above. The Louphomme realized early on that the workers were the ones who were going to be the foundation of their society, without them nothing would get built or repaired. There are those who do not treat the members of this class with respect, but in general, the workers are well respected.
Each village has its own structure as well as well. These sub classes resemble the ones above with an Alpha male and female leading and going down to the workers. However, there is an additional responsibility shared by village members: a community care class for the village cubs. While it?s not restricted to the females of the village, most of the time it is the females who help care for the young of the village. This specialized care starts at the age of thirteen and continues on indefinitely. The males of the villages do assist, but only where needed, so as not to counteract the village caregivers. When the male children come of age (15), the males take them out on the ritual hunt to bring them into manhood and start showing them how to contribute to the village.
Louphomme technology is just behind most of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants cultures. They are warp capable, up to warp six, and also have impulse drives. Their shielding is equivalent to what was used on the Constellation class vessels, USS Stargazer. Weapons wise they have developed the equivalent of the Federation type VIII phaser array for their ships and early versions of photon torpedos, Movie era equivalent.
The Louphomme never invested time into transporters and as such use shuttles for transport. On a smaller scale, hand phasers, equivalent to the "dust buster" Federation phasers, are issued to the military forces. Much as is the tradition with the Marine KBar, the side arms are passed from parent to child. Because of this the weapons used out side of the military range from chemically propelled pistols and rifles to early energy weapons, equivalent to TOS type 2 hand phasers. Outside of the military, however, these weapons are rarely used due to the Louphomme aversion to depending to heavily on technology. They prefer bladed weapons and bare hands or paws.
They have ships ranging from small fighters, which make up 80% of their space force, to small cruisers, only carry 50 crew members total. Outside of that they have transport vessals which they use to visit other planets in the system.
The Louphomme religious beliefs are similar to both the Native Americans and the ancient Greeks of Earth. They have a great reverence for the natural world and take great care in protecting it. This is why they refuse advanced structures whenever possible, using what is given to them by the surrounding trees, land, water, etc. They never use more then they need and always do what they can to replace what's taken. When they can?t replace they offer the Gods a prayer of thanks for the item.
The Louphomme have a specialized God or Goddess regarding each aspect of life:
- Zathrro - God of Fire/Alpha male - Zathrro is the creator and the reigning God. According to myth he awoke in a black place unable to see, speak or stand. Doing what came naturally, he growled and this caused a bright flash from above that lit a nearby bush on fire. With this light came clarification and he took to his hind legs and was able to speak. His booming voice caused the heavens themselves to shake and thunder. From this sprung Phom, the system of the Louphomme. He decided to give life to these new worlds and exhaled the breath of life into all animals. After a time, he looked in on the early Louphomme and saw they were flourishing, but he was lonely. It was then that he spotted a beautiful young Louphomme. He reached through the heavens and scooped her up, taking her as his mate. Looking down, he saw the pack was saddened so he sent down fire from the heavens to them as his pledge she was safe. He watched them flee on all fours in fear at this, so he waived his claw to give them the gift of understanding and to be able to stand on their hind legs.
- Trranit - Goddess of Water/Alpha female - The Alpha female and mate to Zathrro, she was scooped up by her mate?s hand and brought to the heavens to sit by his side. Trranit was pleased that she?d been chosen and been given the gift that Zathrro shared with her kin. His kindness wooed her and she agreed to stay as his mate. Delighted Zathrro gave her domain over the water, both that which is in the air and that below the skies. She was his balance, keeping his fire in check. She watches her people and provides them with water: rain when they need it or strong currents in the oceans to bring ships home safely. Together Zathrro and Trranit had 12 cubs. Each one was given power over one of the twelve remaining domains.
- Wathrrinqu - God of Wind - Wathrrinqu has domain over the wind, breezes and air. He is the first born to Zathrro and Trranit. Wathrrinqu is said to take after his parents the most, with his kindness and generosity. He makes sure the sails are full, that life is continually given from his own breath and that the hunters are able to easily catch their prey.
- Antombah - Goddess of Earth (dirt, soil) - The first daughter, she was given domain over the Earth. She, with the help of her mother, ensures that crops (food), grass and trees (shelter) grow for her people. She works closely with her mother, sister Surrna and brother Saquesta to ensure a balance between Earth, water, Sun and plants.
- Saquesta - God of Trees/Plants - Saquesta watches over the harvests, plants and trees. He, in combination with his mother and sisters, ensure that the animals have forests to live in and grass to eat. He also helps to ensure there are trees for building shelter and grass for weaving roofs and baskets.
- Palonedis - God of Animals - Palonedis watches over all the animals and keeps them healthy. He also watches over the Louphomme health and keeps prey to hunt close by, so long as the Louphomme never kill more then what they need.
- Surrna - Goddess of Sun - Surrna keeps the planet lit and warm. She watches over all life on the planet and uses her rays to share the warmth of her parents to the life forms on Phom.
- Morrno - God of Moon - Morrno watches over the life on Phom with his brother Stana. Together they provide light in the darkness so the Louphomme never have to know total darkness while Surrna rests.
- Stana - God of Stars - Stana, with his brother Morro, watches over the life on Phom. Together they provide light in the darkness, so that the Louphomme never have to know total darkness while Surrna rests. It is also said that Stana helps to guide the spirits through the heavens so they may find peace in the Elusion fields.
- Furtunrra - Goddess of Fertility - Furtunrra was given domain over and promotes fertility, pregnancy, and birth. This is not limited to the Louphomme but watches over all the animals and even the soil the plants grow in.
- Lokrra - Goddess of Love - It is said that she incites feeling of love and lust in anyone who sees her. She is said to be jealous of her mother?s beauty and is constantly trying to prove that she's more beautiful. Each summer when the weather warms, it is believed that Furtunrra and Lokrra are visiting the packs and villages, as the Louphomme go into a mating frenzy for two weeks.
*Note: Louphomme are very loyal, especially when it comes to their mates. Those with mates just seem to "disappear" for two weeks, while those without (who are of age) find their mates at this time, and then disappear for two weeks.
- Rrankan - God of Death/War/Pestilence - Rrankan is the proverbial bad apple of the deities. His fall from grace occurred when he decided total technology was the way to go. He became half beast and half machine, shedding his fur for technological upgrades. He was cast out when he started recruiting Louphomme to his side. His father cast him and his followers into the depth of Staventon (the equivalent of ?hell?) where he now presides, only escaping every so often to stir up trouble.
- Planrric - Goddess of Strength/Wisdom - Planrric is the goddess of wisdom, including wisdom in war, the arts, industry, justice and skill. She is the keeper of the knowledge of her father. She controls when it is let out, in order to avoid the mistakes of her brother by getting too much technology too quickly.
LOYALTY & HONOR
The Louphomme are fiercely loyal to family and those they call friends. They believe if you have done enough to earn their friendship, you?ve done enough to earn their loyalty. They expect that same loyalty returned and anyone they pledge this loyalty to is hence seen as part of their pack. They hold honor almost as sacred as the Klingons. This makes them very straight forward and honest. Lying and dishonesty are the most dishonorable things in their society; mores than even killing an unarmed enemy or shooting the enemy in the back. On the Louphomme home world, this is the only offense that someone may be killed for, wherein the death is not considered murder. Instead, it is considered regaining one?s honor that was stolen by the liar. They do understand the need to lie certain times but don?t agree with it as a general rule.
Louphomme pick their mates much like Humans, based of confidence, strength, looks, pheromone release etc. The first thing that will get their attention is the pharamonal release, which hits a peak 2 weeks out of every year. When two Louphomme chose each other they start "bonding". They touch each other more and more, are around each other more and more and eventually start sleeping side by side. They will also approach each other making soft whining sounds, stroke each others muzzles, touch noses, and bump each other flirtatiously. The couple may also groom each others coats, nibble at each other and walk pressed together. To prove his intentions the male will bow to the female submissively and rest his arms on her shoulders tilting his head slightly.
During the 2 weeks of the pheromone release the females are the ones who release the strongest concentration. As the release starts she will run her tail seductively around the chosen male. At this time they head off for two weeks to copulate. After mating, the whole thing from flirting to copulation, the two are mated and stay with that mate for life. The only time the mate will seek out another mate is if one of the couple dies.
Mating can occur any time of the year, but is strongest during the pheromone release, also known as the festival of Lokrra.
Louphomme can visually communicate in a variety of ways, some of which are more instinctive then necessity:
Emotions (Displayed Physically)
- Dominance - A dominant Louphomme stands stiff legged and tall. The ears are erect and forward, and the hackles bristle slightly. Often the tail is held vertically and curled towards the back. This display asserts the Louphomme's rank to others in the pack. A dominant Louphomme may stare penetratingly at a submissive one and/or pin the other to the ground
- Submission - During active submission, the entire body is lowered, and the lips and ears are drawn back. Sometimes active submission is accompanied by muzzle licking, or the rapid thrusting out of the tongue and lowering of the hindquarters. The tail is placed down, either halfway or fully, between the legs, and the muzzle often points up to the more dominant animal. The submissive will go to all fours and humbles itself to its superior; the more arched the back and more tucked the tail, the greater the degree of submission.
- Anger - An angry Louphomme?s ears are erect and its fur bristles. The lips may curl up or pull back, the incisors are displayed and the Louphomme will snarl.
- Fear - A frightened Louphomme tries to make its body look small and therefore less conspicuous. The ears flatten against the head, and the tail may be tucked between the legs, as with a submissive Louphomme. There may also be whimpering or barks of fear and the Louphomme may arch its back.
- Defensive - A defensive Louphomme flattens its ears against its head.
- Aggression - An aggressive Louphomme snarls and its fur bristles. The Louphomme may crouch, ready to attack if necessary.
- Suspicion - Pulling back of the ears shows a Louphomme is suspicious. The Louphomme also narrows its eyes. The tail of a Louphomme that senses danger points straight out, parallel to the ground.
- Relaxedness - A relaxed Louphomme's tail points straight down, and the Louphomme may rest sphinx-like or on its side. The Louphomme may also wag its tail. The further down the tail droops, the more relaxed the Louphomme is.
- Tension - An aroused Louphomme's tail points straight out and the Louphomme may crouch, as if ready to spring.
- Happiness - A Louphomme may wag its tail if in a joyful mood without realizing he or she is doing it.
- Hunting - A Louphomme that is hunting is tensed, and therefore the tail is horizontal and straight.
Howling helps pack members keep in touch, allowing them to communicate effectively in thickly forested areas or over great distances. Howling also helps to call pack members to a specific location. It can serve as a declaration of territory, as shown in a dominant Louphomme's tendency to respond to a human imitation of a "rival" Louphomme in an area the Louphomme considers its own. This behavior is stimulated when a pack has something to protect, such as a fresh kill. As a rule of thumb, large packs will more readily draw attention to themselves than smaller packs. Adjacent packs may respond to each others' howls, which can mean trouble for the smaller of the two. Therefore, Louphomme tend to howl with great care.
Louphomme will also howl for communal reasons. During such choral sessions, Louphomme will howl at different tones and varying pitches, making it difficult to estimate the number of Louphomme involved. This confusion of numbers makes a listening rival pack wary of what action to take. For example, confrontation could be disastrous if the rival pack gravely underestimates the howling pack's numbers. A Louphomme's howl may be heard from up to ten miles away, depending on weather conditions. Observations of Louphomme packs suggest that howling occurs most often during the twilight hours, preceding the adults' departure to the hunt and following their return. The pups begin howling soon after emerging from their dens, at a year old, and can be provoked into howling sessions easily over the following two years. Such indiscriminate howling usually is intended for communication, and does not harm the Louphomme so early in its life. Howling becomes less indiscriminate as Louphomme learn to distinguish howling pack members from other Louphomme villages or packs.
Growling, while teeth are bared, is the most visual and effective warning Louphomme use. Louphomme growls have a distinct, deep, bass-like quality, and are often used to threaten rivals, though not necessarily to defend themselves. Louphomme also growl at other Louphomme while being aggressively dominant.
Louphomme "bark-howl" by adding a brief howl to the end of a bark. Generally, pups bark and bark-howl much more frequently than adults, using these vocalizations to cry for attention, care, or food. Louphomme pups also whimper, usually when submitting to other Louphomme, mostly the parents. Louphomme pups also whimper when they need the reassurance of security from their parents or other Louphomme.
The Louphomme are humanoids which are similar to the Earth Wolf. They stand upright and they are very muscular and tone. Their legs can be straight like a human?s or have a backwards bend at the knee like a Caitian. Their feet are paws and their hands can be paws or fingers with sharp claws on their tips. These traits â€“ hands instead of paws and straight human type legs â€“ are believed to be a part of their evolution and only started showing a hundred years earlier. Currently, these traits are found in less than 40% of the population.
Their arms are longer than the average humanoid, hanging to just above their knee instead of just below their waist. At their height, between 7.5 - 8 feet average, the length is believed to have evolved for them to still be able to run on all fours as necessary.
They also have a tail, about 20 inches in length; they keep it flat against their back most of the time or around their waist.
Their face is a "muzzle" like that of a Wolf and/or Dog. Most Louphomme have golden-yellow eyes. Blue eyes are very rare, but have been known to occur. They have Wolf type ears on each side of the top of their head.
Louphomme have heightened senses of smell, hearing and vision. They are able to detect smells from a mile away, and up to two and a half or three miles in a wind. They are able to hear the slightest sounds within half a mile. Their eyes act like natural night vision goggles. The light is reflected from the outer edge of the eye into the pupil and allows the Louphomme to see in the dark, so long as it isn?t pitch black. The reflecting of the light also has the added effect of causing their eyes to appear to be glowing in the dark. In the day time the same part that reflects low light into the pupil becomes "dulled" and slightly clouded. This is the extent of their heightened sight, they cannot see farther then the average human, although in very rare cases, a few have been able to see about twice the distance. While bigger than the average Human, the Louphomme are only twice as strong, compared to the Vulcans who are three times as strong.
Internally, the Louphomme are only slightly different from Humans. The main differences are a second heart, expanded lung capacity and harder, thicker bone structures. Their blood is a deeper red then Humans due to an extra intake of iron from their water and prey.
On average there is an eight month gestational period for Louphomme females. The pups are born hairless, blind and nearly deaf; these senses don?t develop until after the first three weeks. During this same time, pups will grow a full body of fur. New born pups have blue eyes, but their eyes slowly turn to the gold-yellow color during their second year of life. In rare cases the pups keep the blue eyes on through adulthood.
The pups hit a version of puberty at fifteen years old. During this time they can be extremely agitated and have strong aggressive tendencies. This normally lasts for a year (until sixteen), though it can go for as many as three (until the pup is eighteen).
The fur, as it develops, can be almost any color. Most of the time the pup's fur color will be the same as its parents, but there is also the chance that it will develop as a different color.
While it's not been long enough for cross breading to have been attempted, research into it does suggest it is possible for the Louphomme to have offspring with other species. If the mother is non-Louphomme, however, great care must be taken and the mother must be watched closely. This is due to the development of the claws in the fetus, if left unwatched the unborn child could shred its mothers insides.
*Special thanks to JulsKaye for proofing, editing and helping me get this ready to submit.*
Notes to Keep in Mind When Simming Louphomme
When simming the Louphomme it is important to keep in mind their feelings anout loyalty and honor. Because they hold both of these in extremely high regard when interacting with other characters and members from the same species. It would be extremely difficult for a nonLouphomme to earn true friendship and loyalty from one of the Louphomme but once it is given a Louphomme will do what ever they can for the other person as if they were born family.
Family is extremely important to them. Because of the way that the community raises the pups on Phomm III this transferrs to serving aboard a ship or station. Most would see the post as a family community such as on their planet This would cause them to possibly be overzealous when it comes to defending their base or ship, however they are rather calm most times. Their religion and deities are extremely important to them and even when on assignment, off duty they would have as little to do with technology as possibl. This mean in their quarters they would most likely have a basic terminal for reports/log, replicator(rarely used and only to replicate food) a cooling unit to store stocked up food, a warming unit and the standard issue equipment for their post in their quarters.
Candles would also be their first choice before using lights and there would be an abundance of plants. They realize the need for technology to serve in Starfleet, however their quarters would reflect the more natural part of their beliefs. Any furnature would most likely be hand made from their homeworld and decorations would be sillier to what was seen in Worfâ€™s quarters in TNG with bladed weapons and bows, arrows and crossbows on the walls.
In relationships, when the Louphomme mate it usually is until one of three situations â€“ death of both partners, death of one partner, the nonLouphomme partner leaves. Their can be extenuating circumstances but as a general rule mating is for life. Finally, in regards to the hearing, strength and eye sight. Their eyes sight is the same as a humans, on average, when it comes to how far they can see. It differs in that the Louphomme eyes can amplify low levels of light for them to be able to see(see physical and heightened senses section). They are able to hear sounds, on average, up to a half mile away and, dependin on the thickness, through some walls. Their sense of smell is hightened as well and they are able to detect smells, on average, a mile away. This heightened sense also allows them to pick up the pheromones that are naturally produced.